Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A good boy who's good at a lot of things

Last week Wilder, Cassie, and I were outside playing. I was swinging Cassie while Wilder walked around the garden, and I sang Wilder the little song I made up for him (to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"):Wilder, Wilder, my sweet boy, Busier than a spinning toy. Doesn't have a lot to say, Still he brightens every day. Wilder, Wilder, my sweet boy, Wilder is my pride and joy. He kept walking for a minute, then he flopped into the swing next to Cassie, making a sad little sound. Half a minute went by, and then he said, "Not good at." Once I figured out what he meant, I said, "Oh, Wilder, you're good at a lot of things! You're a really good explorer, and you're getting really good at talking!" After that he smiled and seemed to feel a lot better. Mike and I have noticed lately that Wilder's interests and anxieties are becoming more mature, the same kinds of things that any four-and-a-half-year-old would worry about. He's probably been feeling these things for a while, but he hasn't had the ability to express them, and because he still engages in self-stimming behaviors like chewing things and pacing, those behaviors mask the progress he's making. As I've said to Mike, I think Wilder is on the cusp of really making breakthroughs in his language skills, and socially he seems to be getting more sophisticated. It's impossible to know, though, and we don't want to raise our expectations too soon. But moments like this one from last week give us good reasons to hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's wonderful news, even if it's better to be cautiously optimistic.