Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fuel on the fire of the vaccine debate

Time magazine's cover story, How Safe Are Vaccines?, offers a well-researched counterpoint to the argument that vaccines cause autism. To date, no reliable scientific studies have shown a causal link between vaccines and autism, but that doesn't stop people from believing that the link exists, and more and more parents are opting out of vaccines. After reading the Time article, I'm more nervous about the diseases that vaccines prevent than about autism--though I'm biased, since Wilder can't become more autistic and Cassie seems to be autism-free. But still, autism vs. polio? I'm pretty sure polio is worse. (Thanks to my sister for the tip on this article!) In the meantime, articles like this one about autism-like symptoms in apes will be fueling the anti-vaccine fears, Time magazine notwithstanding.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Deb- I found your blog looking for autism help for my sister. Thanks for the info I am sending her the link to your blog.