Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A spring thought

We've had a beautiful day today in Salt Lake City, and I spent an hour of it in my front yard trimming away old growth to make way for new leaves, raking up leaves and deadfall to reveal the sprouting plants, and pulling out the unwelcome interlopers that are taking root. As I clipped and pulled, I thought about the word "renewal" and the idea of things becoming new again.

When it comes to spring, for me, renewal is a bit of a misnomer, because it's more like getting back in touch with something that I've long treasured but I've forgotten, neglected, or taken for granted. It's auld lang syne rather than making new. I don't think it's a coincidence that in the past few months, I've put aside my "oh, I'm too busy" excuse and actually called and emailed neglected friends. This blog is no exception--instead of thinking, "Oh, I've got to come up with something to post," I'm now thinking, "Oh, I've got to write a post about that!"

So here's to spring, renewal, and rediscovery.

No comments: