Wednesday, December 26, 2007

New Theory of Autism Genetics

I just joined the Interactive Autism Network, a site that coordinates and supports research on autism. They collect information from parents and they link parents up with current research projects. They also have extensive information resources. I found a fascinating article on a new theory of the genetics of autism. It offers a plausible theory for the vast genetic variation between people with ASDs, and the fact that sometimes ASDs seem to come out of nowhere, genetically speaking. In our case, I suspect that Mike and I are carriers since there are people with mild ASD-type behaviors on both sides of our family. I will be curious to see, though, whether this theory can account for the differences in severity of autism and differences between the disorders (verbal Asperger's kids vs. non-verbal autistic disorder kids, for example).

No comments: